Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'
A cobra entwining a sprig of maple leaf. The maple leaf signifies the squadron's association as a Canadian unit in World War One whilst the cobra represents the fact that No 92 was one of the East India gift squadrons in World War Two.
No 92 Squadron was formed at London Colney on 1 September 1917 as a fighter unit and moved to France in July 1918. It was engaged in fighter and ground attack duties over the Western Front for the rest of the war and disbanded on 7 August 1919.
On 10 October 1939, No 92 reformed at Tangmere and received Blenheims. In March 1940, these were replaced by Spitfires which became operational on 9 May and flew patrols over France during May and June before being sent to South Wales for defensive duties. In September it was transferred to No 11 Group for the final phase of the Battle of Britain beginning offensive operations at the end of the yaer. Moving to Lincolnshire in October 1941, No. 92 left for the Middle East in February 1942, but lack of aircraft had delegated the Squadron to maintenance duties. In August, Spitfires arrived and were used for fighter sweeps and bomber escort missions before No. 92 moved to Tunisia and then on to Malta in June 1943. After moving in to captured airfields in Sicily the Squadron moved on to Italy in September 1943, where it became a fighter-bomber unit in July 1944 for the rest of the war. The Squadron disbanded in Austria on 30 December 1946.
On 31 January 1947, No. 91 Squadron at Acklington was renumbered 92 Squadron and flew Meteors as part of the fighter defence of the UK until converting to Sabres in February 1954. These were replaced by Hunters in April 1956 which in turn gave way to Lightnings in April 1963. At the end of 1968, No. 92 moved to Germany and in January 1977 conversion to Phantoms began, the Squadron disbanding on 31 March 1977. On 1 April 1977, the Phantom element at Wildenrath became No. 92 Squadron and remained so until the Squadron disbanded again on 1 July 1991. On 23 September 1992 151 (Reserve) Squadron of 7 Flying Training School was renumbered No. 92 (Reserve) Squadron at Chivenor flying Hawks. These aircraft were flown until the Squadron was disbanded on 1 October 1994.